Horsham Cycling
April 24, 2014, 01:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Horsham Cycling Member, welcome to your club forum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now a blooming incident on the A24 at Southwater...  (Read 2081 times)
biggy
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »

Nothing like as serious as what happened to Malcolm a while back, but it could have been a lot worse.

I was out doing a bit of training today, coming north up the A24 on the stretch that's next to Southwater. Traffic zooming by, but I was actually just to the left of lane 1, a few inches the other side of the white line, and doing about 18mph up the long drag. Next thing I know - crash - shuddering impact to my head and right ear, and the sound of, so I thought, breaking glass. Instantly I thought I'd been hit by a truck's wing mirror, but after a moment's shock, and the realisation I was still upright on the bike, I realised it couldn't be. Disappearing into the distance at maybe 80 or 90mph was a silver grey Astra van, with some neanderthal hanging out of the passenger window - so obviously this guy had smacked me on the head with something, just for a laugh. It turned out to be a big bit of plastic sheet, by the way - about 1mm thick and brittle enough to shatter all over the place.

What do you do when faced with mindless aggression like that? Somehow I stayed really calm - I was 'in the zone' with my training and totally loving it, the conditions were beautiful, and no damage was done, apart from a few little gouges out of the back of my helmet. I guess you have to feel sorry for these people too - their lives must be so indescribably crap in every way that hitting a cyclist over the head could well be the high point of their year.  Cool

Anyway, be careful out there. This could have been worse if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I rang the cops and reported this, but with no registration plate to go on and no witnesses it's for 'info only'. And keep your eyes peeled for silver grey Astra vans - no company logos - a ladder on one side of a low roof rack. If you see anything suspicious I'd love a registration number.

Robin
Stewart Forbes
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »

Hi Robin, that was a close shave and could have resulted in something much worse. I will certainly keep an eye out for that van.
Those neds must be so thick in not realising what could be the outcome of their actions.

Stewart
Ian Hiscock
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »

Shocked
Very nasty, thankfully I haven't experienced anything more than heckles from an open window.

Glad your'e ok.
malcrow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »

Hi Robin

Where do they grow these idiiots. I hope he gets a large dose of the overdue Karma he surely deserves. I will keep my eyes peeled for the scumbags van.

Cheers

Mal
Keith Shuttlewood

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:11:29 PM »

It's very depressing to hear about people doing this sort of thing, it's just unforgivable.
The worst I have experienced is eggs thrown at me from a passing car a few years ago,
a real pain to clean off the frame once it's dried on.

Relieved that there where no injuries this time.

Keith S.
Robbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 05:13:22 PM »

This sort of thing really annoy's me.
It's bad enough with all the ignorant idiots out there who are careless,
without having to add mindless morons who go out of thier way to do this sort of thing.
Robbie. Angry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: